Lipisuction® Surgery for Lipedema
Dr. Granzow’s integrated system for lipedema treatment combines effective therapy and his unique lymphatic sparing Lipisuction® surgery to provide the best results for patients suffering from lipedema. The Lipisuction® surgery safely removes the excess fat while protecting the important lymphatic channels to prevent the possibility of lymphedema.
Water-jet Assisted Liposuction (WAL)
Does Insurance Pay for Lipisuction®?
Insurance may cover the Lipisuction® surgery! Amy Granzow, Patient Advocate and attorney, alongside our dedicated insurance team, help patients obtain insurance coverage for their lipedema surgeries. Insurances may require that lipedema surgery is performed in a contracted hospital setting to obtain coverage.
How Many Surgeries Will I Need?
Most patients require between 1 and 3 surgeries. The number of surgeries needed is determined by the patient’s own body and the amount of excess fat that needs removal. Other factors, such as the use of general anesthesia and a hospital setting, allow for more safe fat removal during each surgery and can decrease the number of surgeries needed.
Local vs. General Anesthesia?
Dr. Granzow has safely performed thousands of surgeries using both general anesthesia and local anesthesia. Dr. Granzow’s training and experience give him the maximum flexibility in determining the most appropriate course of treatment for each and every patient. Most patients can have their procedure performed safely with either local or general anesthesia.
- Much larger volumes can be safely removed in hospital with general anesthesia, can result in fewer surgeries and overall down time and recovery
- Pain free surgery
- Risk due to anesthesia itself (on order of <1% increased risk)
- Most safety when performed in hospital setting
- Smaller amounts of fat can be removed safely
- Pain during surgery varies by surgeon and patient (can check reviews on Yelp or similar for patient experiences)
- Most of surgery risk due to much larger amounts of local anesthetic required than with general anesthesia
- Less risk in very heavy patients
Why Include Lipedema Therapy?
Lipedema therapy, especially after surgery, will significantly improve patient healing and results. Dr. Granzow includes this therapy as part of the surgery package because he wants all of his patients to have the best results possible.
To learn more about how lipedema therapy can help complement your lipedema treatment, contact Dr. Granzow for a consultation at our Center of Excellence or call us at (310) 882-6261.